Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Time 2.0

I have wasted so much time trying to upload images to Flickr, I'm officially ashamed of myself. It seems I got so excited about Flickr, I became willing to spend whatever time it took to participate, put up with whatever difficulties, work past whatever bugs.

I have better things to do with my time!

I eventually downloaded the old uploader and things went swimmingly. Then of course I had to play with Picnik, which quickly convinced me to send them money for access to more and better editing tools. Then, so proud was I of one particular photo, I thought, "I should order a print of this!" only to discover Flickr won't sell to Canada. Oh, I can buy expensive fancy photo stuff from their partners, but not an ordinary 3x5 print.

The concept is great: a community of photographers, pro, novice, and clicking-shots-of-the-baby types like me. I think it has a lot of potential (I'll get to that in a late post), but how often do we spend extra time on the new-fangled when the old-fangled was just as good? I have an empty photo album on my desk I've been meaning to get to for FOUR months now, which I could easily have finished in the time I spent swearing at Flickr Uploadr.

Hmmmm.

Intimidation factor: 2/5
Consternation factor:4/5

1 comment:

Arlene said...

Hi Jess, I hear your frustration about uploading. I've had similar issues trying to upload to MSN Spaces after they changed their interface which was part of the reason why I went to Snapfish. Luckily, I didn't have any trouble with Flickr. Knock on wood.

I'm the only person I know who still prints photos. Everyone else shares via email, Facebook, digital frames or carrying around their laptop as an album. Others just don't take any pictures.

Arlene